Are you in process of selecting a team? (199-2)
When they understand team dynamics, leaders choose team members carefully. Read Mark 3:13-19.
Jesus’ ministry had amassed hundreds of faithful followers. These were individuals that actually spent time with Jesus and followed Him from town to town to listen to His preaching and to minister to His needs. From this large pool of followers, Jesus selected twelve men to become His apostles, His entrusted messengers and ambassadors. This was such a significant decision that Jesus prayed all night to prepare for it. This was a decision that Jesus made alone with only the guidance of God.
Leadership teams must be chosen. Jesus did not call for a vote; He made the personnel decision Himself. He chose men He personally wanted to be with and with whom He had chemistry. Jesus knew this was the team that would be with Him for the rest of His ministry and He was prepared to pour Himself unreservedly into their lives. He sought men whose individual strengths would increase the effectiveness of each member of the team.
Some important criteria when choosing a leadership team:
- Select individuals with values that match your core values.
- Select individuals with a track record (or stated values) for high standards of excellence.
- Select individuals that get along with others, who can give as well as take.
- If you have to choose, select individuals more on character than skill. Skill can be acquired but character is based on life choices and is difficult to change.
- Seek individuals with complementary gifts rather than identical gifts.
- Whenever possible, select individuals you have spent some time with and believe you can get along with and trust. Teams don’t function with the wrong kind of tension.
- Follow Jesus’ example, pray at length about the right choices.
Are you in process of selecting a team? Have you inherited a team that does not function at a high level and needs change? Teams become a living organism and must manifest both unity and diversity. The wise Christian leader will take the time needed to study the processes and criteria Jesus used when He selected His team.
Trackback from your site.